What Are You Doing With Your time?
what can you do with a day?
It might seem like a trivial question, a hypothetical or even an inconsequential amount of time when you think about the days, months and lifetime ahead of you. But time is a fickle trickster you don't see coming. A taskmaster diligently deducting seconds and minutes from your time bank, whether you're ready or not.
I think the majority of us don't value our end. We don't fully take responsibility for the air we breathe as we get sucked into our daily routines, other people's priorities and mindless consumptions. I don't think we don't get that it's already much later than we think.
We make plans and promises we often don't honour. Because there's always tomorrow. But what if there wasn't?
What would you do if you had a fixed amount of time left?
- Would you spend it complaining about your job, co-workers, or the weather?
- Would you spend it scrutinising your wrinkles and the thickness of your waist?
- Would you spend it agonising over having nothing to wear?
- Would you spend it horizontally, binge watching Netflix?
- Would you spend it counting carbs, fats and calories?
- Would you spend it washing, scrubbing and cleaning?
- Would you spend it obsessing how many people liked you on social media (or in real life)?
- Would you spend it recounting all your disappointments, failures and fears?
- Would you spend it doing your favourite thing?
- Would you spend it talking, playing, hanging our with your favourite people?
- Would you spend it emptying out your bank accounts?
- Would you spend it making amends?
What do you need to do to lead a life of the greatest meaning?
- What special moments do you want to experience?
- What have you always wanted to do but have not done yet?
- What do you want to learn or try out?
- What would you really like to say to the people you love?
- What relationships would you like to deepen?
- What are the most important things you can ever do?
- Are there places you want to visit?
- What are your biggest goals and deepest desires?
- What do you want to achieve with your work?
- What problems do you want to solve?
- Does the amount of time/attention you give to all the important people in your life demonstrate that they're a top priority?
- What do you want to be known for and why?
- How can you be a better leader for those around you?
- What do you want more of in your life?
- What can you let go of that is no longer serving you?
- How can you better realise your true potential?
Do not throw away time waiting for all the things you want to land at your feet. For that lucky break, the illusive lotto win, or that delusive someday to arrive. You have to get out there and make it happen. You owe it to yourself to spend your treasured time wisely.
At some point you have to decide to stop playing it safe and rethink the consequences of your inaction and squandering of time. Start small. Start here and now by answering these three questions:
- What can you do with this day?
- What one action will support you moving forward to your bigger goals?
- What one thing will you do to make you feel more alive today?
Learn to invest your time as if your life depends on it ... because it does.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Gandalf the Grey
Devote your moments doing the things that are most important to you and your life and no matter how long or short it is, it will be filled with a richness and sweetness like you have never experienced before.
Do you like what you've read here? Share it with a friend and leave a comment below.