Why aren't you chasing your dreams?
Don’t wait until the end to wake up to your life.
Life is as simple or complicated as you make it, as beautiful or ugly as you see it, as passionate or lukewarm as you feel it, as profound or shallow as you create it.
It is magical, mad, mundane. It's hard and unfair. It's awe-inspiring and phenomenal. It's painful and hopeful. And for as long as you wake each morning, you get to decide how you experience it. You get to say yes and participate in the kind of existence you want to create. The big question is do you? Or perhaps more so, will you?
So often we let ourselves become consumed by other people's priorities - managers, coworkers, partners, family, friends, kids, the tax man - they all want the best piece of us. We bow down to societal pressures and become slaves to our online personas and an Everest of things. We get stuck in uninspired routines, in unhealthy relationships, in jobs we hate, suffocated by debts we can't keep up with.
Somewhere along the way we stop prioritising our own personal needs and emotional wellbeing to pacify the demands of others. We've all been there and done it and we've all lost by doing so.
Life moves at breakneck speed and if you don't stop to appreciate and celebrate the miraculousness of your own existence, you will get to the end with a lifetime of regret.
It's not to late to rethink your year. You still have 11 solid months left to do something meaningful and particular to you.
Think about your most important lifetime aspirations and narrow your focus to the one or two things you can work towards this year.
- Do you want to be financially independent?
- Do you want to start a family?
- Do you want to get married?
- Do you want to have a successful career?
- Do you want to travel?
- Do you want to find your dream home?
- Do you want to do something selfless for others?
- Do you want to learn another language?
- Do you want to live abroad?
- Do you want to start a company?
- Do you want to reinvent yourself?
- What else?
think about what's currently holding you back. Identify your self sabotaging ways.
- Do you wait and wait (and wait) for the perfect time to start?
- Do you get overzealous at the start of a project and run out of steam by the end?
- Do you expect way too much way too soon and then quit?
- Do you beat yourself up when things don’t go to plan?
- Do low-value activities and tasks easily distract you?
- Do you get discouraged when obstacles arise?
- Do you overcommit and over promise?
- Do you fail to plan?
- Do you have a I'll-get-to-it-tomorrow attitude?
If you changed the way you did just ONE thing and it made all the difference what would it be?
- How can you break down big goals into manageable chunks?
- What are your timeframes and targets?
- Do you have faith in your abilities? Do you need upskilling?
- Who will you ask for help when you need it?
- How can you use failure as feedback and a learning opportunity?
- How will you create sacred boundaries, routines and habits to help you thrive?
- How will you pick yourself up and keep moving when things (and they will) go sideways?
Now consider what you are willing to give up to get what you want. Because trade offs are very real my friend, which is why you've got to be brutally honest on what it is you need to trade, temporarily or permanently, to get to where you need to go.
Life is about choices and consequences.
Last question, would you rather face your fears today or regret forever?
If you are ready to shift gears, get support and create real momentum, check out The Life Makeover.
Do you like what you've read here? Share it with a friend and leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you.