Are you leaving a positive & lasting impression on people?
When was the last time you took an honest timeout to reflect on who you are being when you are doing what you are doing?
The way you do what you do, the way you communicate and execute on your ideas and decisions significantly impacts on the way the world sees you, relates to you and connects with you. Whether you are aware of it or not, whether you like it or not, you are always being judged just as you are always judging, be it subtly or openly.
Everything you do and say reinforces your reputation and credibility - so why wouldn't you take greater care and responsibility in managing that perception?
Awareness is paramount and the first step in managing that perception and the best way to gauge your current level of awareness is to have a go at answering the following questions:
- How would you describe yourself in five words?
- What do your interactions say about you?
- When people introduce you or talk about you, would they use your words, or similar, to describe you?
- What style of language do you use when communicating with others?
- What does your body language convey when talking to new people?
- What does your grooming and appearance suggest?
- How well do you build rapport?
- Who do you associate with online and offline?
- Who do you ‘friend’ on social media?
- What do you talk about/ share/ comment on when using social media?
- Who and what do you promote?
- What do your selfies communicate?
- How do you make others feel?
- What comes up in your search results when you Google yourself?
- Are you behaving in a way that leaves you feeling proud?
- What's your number one challenge in presenting yourself in the light you desire?
It's so easy to forget that all the bits of information you throw out there express a certain type of image and message around WHO you are and WHAT you stand for.
If you want to be seen in a certain way or known for something specific you've got to proactively manage your personal brand and leave people with a message that is consistent, meaningful and memorable.
So the next time you open your mouth to speak, reach for the keyboard to write, or take any form of physical action, be conscious of the experience you are creating.
- Am I being deliberate and purposeful with my words and actions?
- Am I being kind and positive?
- Is what I have to say necessary and aligned to my personal brand?
- Will the person reading this or standing opposite me be better off as a result of our interaction?
As bestselling author and leadership speaker Douglas Conant says: Even a brief interaction can change the way people think about themselves, their leaders, and the future. Each of those many connections you make has the potential to become a high point or a low point in someone's day.
Do you like what you've read here? Share it with a friend and leave a comment below.