Monday mantra: Consume less, create more
Stop accumulating stuff and get your hands dirty.
This year I promised myself I would become a more conscious consumer. I don't always get it right but I am getting better at asking questions, doing a little legwork and understanding who my dollar is supporting.
I also promised myself I would create more - more writing, more photos, more design, more mediums to explore, like ceramics and painting. It doesn't even matter if I suck. It's not about uncovering my inner creative genius, it's about using those things at the end of my arms, tapping into my creative reserves and getting messy.
- Discovery and authenticity
- Improved problem solving skills
- A can-do attitude
- Better self expression
- Fresh perspectives
- Renewed energy
- Stress release
- Increased productivity.
How you create more:
- Go on a spend-free diet for a month (limit spending to essentials)
- Keep an ideas journal (they make excellent reference points over the years)
- Learn how to make something new (e.g. a zine, a gallery wall, a decadent meal)
- Teach someone a skill/learn a new skill (share and observe)
- Learn visual note taking (say it in images, colour and signs)
- Take a drama class (create new worlds)
- Take a dance class (tell stories with your body)
- Go offline often (nothing cleanses the overstimulated palate as a good digital detox)
- Don't isolate yourself (socialise and diversify)
- Explore your passions and interests (try someone new every month)
- Experiment, experiment, experiment.
Please share the love - like it, share it with a friend and leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you!